Aerial Touch Display (Under Development)
Floating image is simulated.
Vivid images “floating” in the air.
Futuristic Non-Contact HMI (Human-Machine-Interface) becomes available by a combination of aerial floating display and air-location detection sensor, like ToF sensor.
Aerial Floating Display + Air-location Sensor Non-Contact HMI
Contactless interface can prevent virus (e.g. coronavirus) and microbe from adhering to fingers; very effective display solution to prevent the transmission of the virus and enhance public sanitation.
Floating image can be seen only from the straight direction and it is hard to peep at image from oblique directions; this solution is effective to increase a privacy control of high-security equipment (e.g. PIN input). Toppan plans to propose and provide not only “Aerial Floating Display” only but also a total HMI solution incorporating a sensor to detect air-position of fingers.
- A light emitted from LCD display will be retro-reflected by orthogonal adjacent 2 reflection plane on micro-mirror-array. A floating image will be optically formed at plane-symmetric position in the air.
- Toppan’s high transmittance LCD panel, high brightness backlight and proprietary optical design expertise enable to provide exceptional vivid aerial imaging experience with very bright and less ghost picture.
Aerial Image Position
45-degree standing position has been assumed as a standard position of Aerial Floating Display, but Toppan’s unique optical design approach enabled to place the floating image in parallel to the unit surface.
The display unit of “parallel-floating”, furthermore, could decrease its module thickness down to almost half compared to 45-degree type.
1/2 Module Thickness
Non-Contact Sensor Easy Integration
Floating image is simulated.
- Aerial Touch Display is under developing products/technology. Actual product form and performance are subject to change depending on future development situations.
- News Release : Toppan Significantly Improves Aerial Touch Display and Doubles Viewing Angle (Sep/15/2021)
- News Release : Toppan Develops World’s First Aerial Touch Display to Generate Images Parallel to the Panel (Oct/12/2020)
Almost transparent background display.
Special display technology with using a Polymer-dispersed type liquid crystal which contains reticulate-structured polymeric polymer (PDLC). With leveraging the action of PDLC, we can control light path in “transmission” or “scattering” by applying voltage or not.
PDLC Display can have extremely high light transmittance because it does not require polarizer films attached, which are indispensable for normal LCDs.
This technology can realize ultra-low-power-consumption and complete reflection-type display, by placing a reflector plate backside.
PDLC = Polymer Dispersion Liquid Crystal
- Transmittance ~90%
- Transmitting/Scattering Binary
- Ultra Low Power (~0.1mW)
Not only as a direct viewing display, PDLC Display can work as “optical device” by implementing it inside optical system.
As an example, in a view finder of single-lens reflex camera, a PDLC Display works to superimpose some photograph information (like auto-focus points) upon a subject image. PDLC Display, furthermore, is expected to expand its utility to various applications, like a light attenuation and optical aperture control.
2-layer structure of PDLC Display and TFT or OLED display can create unique valued display solution – Hybrid of i) monochrome segment and ii) full-color active-matrix display formats.
PDLC Display operates at ultra-low-power consumption; therefore, we can decrease total power consumption and save a battery exhaust significantly, by selecting display modes adequately depending on actual user operation and circumstances.
Thanks to its high transmittance (almost transparent), this hybrid solution enables to keep high quality image of TFT and OLED displays without degradation of performance.
Active Matrix Mode
(TFT or OLED)