In the 1990s, with increasing activity for environmental conservation on a global scale, the scope of areas to be tackled by businesses grew significantly. Toppan Printing also redeveloped its previous environmental conservation activities, establishing the Ecology Center in 1991, and setting out the “Toppan Declaration on the Global Environment” in 1992 as the basic philosophy for environmental conservation activities. Following this, in the year 2000 when Toppan Printing marked 100 years since its founding, the company promoted activities by reviewing the “Toppan Declaration on the Global Environment” at the same time as establishing the “Corporate Philosophy” “Corporate Creed” and “Conduct Guidelines” Targeting a sustainable society in which every form of life can continue to exist in the future, Toppan Printing has newly revised “The Toppan Group Declaration on the Global Environment” as activities for the entire Toppan Group* and is declaring a more proactive approach to preservation of the global environment.
*Toppan Printing and Toppan Printing subsidiaries subject to consolidation excluding some companies listed on the First Section of the Tokyo Stock Exchange.
As responsible members of international society,
we who work within the Toppan Group
strive to realize a sustainable society
through forward looking corporate activities with consideration
for the conservation of the global environment.
- We observe all laws, regulations and in-company rules relating to the environment.
- For the future of the Earth, we strive for the effective utilization of limited resources and the reduction of all types of environmental burden.
- With foresight, we promote the development and widespread use of products that show consideration for the environment, and contribute to the environmental activities of customers.
- We engage in communication related to the environment with a wide range of peoples both inside and outside the company, and strive for mutual understanding.
- We also take a proactive approach to environmental conservation in corporate activities in international society.
Established April 1992
Revised April 2009
Promotion Structure for “Environmental Activities”
The Toppan Group’s promotion structure for “Environmental Activities” takes the Board of Directors as the highest decision-making body for environment related matters. The Toppan Printing Ecology Center is responsible for the practical coordination of activities as a central organization for the Toppan Group and the Director in charge of the Ecology Center is the highest level officer responsible for environmental activities. An Environmental Management Officer is appointed in the organization of each division and group company and environmental activities are promoted within the organizations together with the Eco-protection Promotion Committees, the bodies that are responsible for actual implementation of activities.
Documentation System for “Environmental Activities”
With regards to the documentation system for “Environmental Activities”, in order to enhance the effectiveness of the Toppan Group’s environmental activities based on “The Toppan Group Declaration on the Global Environment”, the company has newly established the “Toppan Printing Environmental Management Regulations”, which consolidate the responsibilities and authority of the various promotion structures and their heads, as well as items to be implemented. Common company-wide rules have been consolidated under these regulations as guidelines for each kind of activity, and each related organization strives for forward looking global environment conservation by engaging in practical environmental activities in accordance with these rules.
With “The Toppan Group Declaration on the Global Environment” as the basic philosophy, the Toppan Group’s “Environmental Activities” are divided into 4 main areas.
■Environmental Management Activities Basic Principle (1)
Activities for systematically managing environmental initiatives such as the construction of the environmental management system.
- Construction of the environmental management system
- Implementation of activities for continuous improvement
- Implementation of internal environmental audits
■Eco-protection activities Basic Principles (2) & (5)
Activities to reduce the environmental burden associated with corporate activities as much as possible.
- Energy saving / resource saving
- Reduction of greenhouse gases
- Reduction of chemical substances
- Increase in efficiency of logistics
- Promotion of separation and recycling of waste
- Prevention of atmospheric, water and soil pollution, as well as odors, noise, vibration and ground subsidence
■Eco-creativity Activities Basic Principle (3)
Activities to proactively promote the development, assessment and sales of environmentally friendly products and technical services.
- Green purchasing
- Green procurement
- Planning, research, development and sales of products and technologies with consideration for the environment
- Initiatives in environmental business
■Environmental Communication Activities Basic Principle (4)
Activities for sharing awareness of approaches to the environment with stakeholders through educational activities inside and outside the company and activities promoting coexistence with local communities.
- Environmental education for employees
- Issuance of CSR report
- Participation in local activities
- Plant tours
- Reporting on environmental activities to local residents
Contact: Ecology Center,email@example.com